If you look at any number of websites or books centered around being an alpha male, you will, without a doubt, come across the topic of dressing well. First off, be very careful where you go for men’s style advice, a lot of the famous PUA’s dress like clowns. I’m not a fan of “peacocking”. It’s much better to be a well dressed badass. Think James Bond.
This is an important topic for several reasons. The first is that dressing well reflects your inner disposition. What do you think of when you picture a guy with ill-fitting clothes, shirt untucked, not groomed? Yeah, you think he’s a slob and that is what he thinks of himself inside. If he didn’t feel this way about himself he would never dress like this, even when no one is looking.
What do you think of a guy who wears a suit that “kind of” fits him, finished off with a Disney tie? Beta shlub? Yeah, once again you are right. You’re probably looking at a dude whose wife disdains him. That’s the dude who gets laid once per year and the rest of the time anesthetized by a steady stream of junk food, porn, video games and watching sports.
Finally, there is the man who you see with a suit that fits him well, he’s wearing a power tie and french cuffs. You got it, that’s the alpha male. Don’t mistake this for a man obsessed with his looks, he’s not a metro sexual by any means, rather this is a man who knows how to look good and has a solid sense of self that reflects in how he dresses.
I can’t overstate the importance of dressing well and taking care of yourself for a healthy inner disposition. When I was in the service and going through a survival course, the importance of retaining normalcy in a survival situation was always stressed. Even in dire straits, you maintain military bearing, shave, wash, take care of yourself when possible. This is how important you outward appearance is to you. A lot of otherwise masculine men will downplay the importance of dressing well, seeing it as being metro sexual. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Being vain, feminine and metro sexual means dressing for others. Being a masculine man who dresses well, a well dressed badass, means that you dress this way for yourself. The secondary benefits will be how others will treat you, including women.
What should you do if your internal dialogue/image is not where it needs to be? What you can do is turn the dynamic around and use your external appearance to help you think better.
Here are some things that you can do immediately to improve the way you dress:
- Purchase a custom tailored shirt, jacket or suit. Wearing a well-tailored suit sets you apart immediately from those around you. Most guys in America today rarely wear a suit. When they do put one on they are visibly uncomfortable in it. You will stand out like a light house in your customer tailored suit and shirt combo. You can purchase either or both here for a great price.
- That being said, you’ll be looking fantastic in your newly tailored suit, so you’ll need to wear it. Get into the habit of wearing your suit. Going out for a couple of drinks? Put it on. Go out for a nice dinner? Put it on. Going downtown to do some shopping? Put it on. Get used to being in a suit. I guarantee that you’ll also notice the difference in how people treat you. You’ll like it.
- Always wear french cuffs with a jacket. Get several shirts made with french cuffs. Cuff links are not expensive. You can get yourself several pairs to change things up. This is where your individuality comes in. Find masculine cuff links that you like. This will allow you to have several sets to change things up.
- Purchase several ties. Go with power ties and power colors. You are a man, dress like it. Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT wear ties with Disney characters, superheros, sports team logos or anything like that. If you dress like a clown you will deservedly be treated like a clown. Consider yourself warned. If you live in Great Britain or any of the Commonwealth and have earned the honor to wear a regimental tie, do it; I’m jealous of you.
- Wear a pocket square every single time that you wear a jacket.
- Wear a nice, masculine watch. You can find a good variety of reasonably priced watches on Amazon.
- Start to experiment. Find your particular style. Look to Europe, particularly England, for masculine ways to dress well. While there are some good blogs around for men that are coming out of America, I still recommend looking overseas. The reason is that masculine style is about more than just the surface, it’s about tradition, it’s about strength. America doesn’t have the tradition of a masculine aristocracy, so you’ll have to look elsewhere.
- Don’t ever walk into a church service wearing anything but a suit.
- Do not wear a tie without a jacket.
With summer coming up I will be posting about summer style and how you can kill it at the next bbq or an evening on the town in warm summer weather.
Until next time.